Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Creations: Hot Cocoa Gift Jars

Every year I try to find an easy to make inexpensive gift that I can easily produce for family and friends, or anyone else I need a quick gift for around the holidays. Recently I stumbled upon a recipe for a homemade layered cocoa mix , and I knew I should try it out for holiday gifts this year. The cocoa mix is added in layers into a clear glass jar, and it creates a beautiful visual- especially when you add chocolate chips or peppermint sticks. After all, who doesn’t love a hot steamy cup of cocoa in the winter?!

These are simple to make, require almost no prep time or kitchen space, and cost between 5 and 10 dollars to make. All you have to do in order to make the cocoa is dump all of the ingredients in a bowl, mix them up, and add 1/3 cup of mix with boiling water for each mug. What could be a better gift?

I found my recipe on Sunset, but there are lots of versions out there. Click here to get the recipe I used. Besides the ingredients, all I had to buy were a couple of glass jars with screw-top lids, which we found at The Dollar Store. You could also use Ball canning jars in the large size, which you can find at most grocery stores.

Making the jars was SO easy. I carefully measured out the ingredients and slowly added them to the jar in layers, shaking it down as necessary to level it all out. Lastly, I added the candy cane bits, which really sets everything off. To crumble up the candy canes, put them in a zip lock bag and smash with a hammer, (it's fun!) But, be careful not to smash them into powder or you won't be able to see their pretty red and white stripes.


To add my own personal touch, I created a custom label design in Adobe Illustrator and printed it out on self sticking Avery labels. You can buy the peel and stick labels anywhere they sell office supplies. For a simpler version, just hand write your message on the label with a cute pen or marker.




One of my favorite things about these jars is that they are too pretty to be covered up! No need to wrap these, just tie them with any little ribbon or string and you’re done. And look how pretty!


The possibilities are endless. You could layer the ingredients of almost anything in these jars, so long as most of the ingredients are dry. Whatever you cannot include in the jar (such as water, eggs, or any other perishable ingredient) just make sure to include it in the instructions you provide.

Sunset also has recipes for layered mocha cocoa, classic cocoa, and mexican cocoa; check them out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment