Friday, January 1, 2010

Creations: Bathing Beauty Bath Caps


I've always loved shower caps... maybe because they remind me of women from the 1960's and their bouffant hairdo's. Actually, I think my obsession with shower caps started when I spotted the benefit bathina cap at a makeup counter years ago, and because my favorite book as a child had a little girl wearing a big frouffy shower cap and looking mighty pleased about it. Whatever the reason, I decided I wanted to re-create the same look of the old style bath caps with some modern fabric patterns. I found a great tutorial on the sew mama sew blog to make your own shower cap here.

Surprisingly, I found some gorgeous cotton fabric at JoAnn Fabric, and most of it was between $3 and $8 on sale. Using the rip-stop nylon was actually easier than I thought, and what a great idea to repel the water whilst still enjoying a beautiful patterned fabric! I had never used bias tape before, and let me tell you, now I LOVE IT. This stuff is amazing! It comes in millions of colors, you can sew right up the fold, and it makes your edges look great. Who could ask for more?


I made my second cap a little bigger, because the original pattern was a bit small for my head (maybe I just have a big head?). I also made a modification by using 2 coordinating fabrics, one for the inside and one for the outside with the nylon sandwiched in between.


It was a challenge for a beginning sewer like me to complete this project, especially pinning and sewing in the elastic. But I was so happy with the final results that I immediately started on the second one while the whole thing was fresh in my brain. This was so fun!

1 comment: