Sunday, October 10, 2010

The 'undo' button

Since my usual medium is digital - I try to balance it out by working with my hands whenever I can, whether that's doing hair or crafting or really anything that doesn't involve me sitting in front of a computer screen. However! After having worked as a graphic designer full time for 6 years now, I have trouble transitioning when I do things in 'real time' (vs computer time where everything is done instantly). It's like I'm so connected with my adobe suite that it has actually changed the way I think; and that is just gross on so many levels.

At the risk of sounding like a complete weirdo, I'm going to admit something embarrassing. When I'm doing something away from my computer and I make a mistake, I literally say the words "undo" (or apple z! apple z!) in my head and yes, sometimes out loud. And just for a split second, I sometimes think its going to WORK. And these are the moments that I remember exactly WHY it's so necessary for me to STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER and do something real.

So this is my partial justification for including everything I make and create on this blog, instead of just keeping it straight to graphic design; which would make so much more sense, though not nearly as interesting...

Not only do these seemingly disparate activities keep me sane, but they often become the inspiration I take to the computer for my next design project.

No comments:

Post a Comment